25% of women and 10% of men suffer from depression
During their lifetime approximately one in four women and one in ten men will experience an episode of depression serious enough to require treatment. Western medical treatment often consists of a course of anti-depressants, or rarely a referral to a therapist. Our treatment approaches include acupuncture, herbal medicine and mindfulness techniques that teach you to manage your condition.
The 9 Signs of Depression
An epsiode of depression can include the following symptoms:
- Depressed mood, nearly every day during most of the day
- Marked diminished interest or pleasure in almost all activities
- Significant weight loss (when not dieting), weight gain, or a change in appetite
- Insomnia or hypersomnia (excess sleep)
- Behaviour that is agitated or slowed down
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Feelings of worthlessness or inappropriate guilt.
- Impaired ability to concentrate or indecisiveness.
- Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal.
If you have been suffering from 5 or more of the following symptoms, at the same time, for more than 2 weeks, you may be experiencing an episode of major depression.
How Thrive can Help
Thrive provides a range of proven therapeutic approaches to help you on the road to recovery from depression including:
- Herbal Medicine
- Breathing retraining
- Mindfulness meditation
- Acupressure & Tui na
- Qi Gong exercise
- Dietary Therapy and Nutrition
The Benefits of Integrated Medicine
Thrive exists as part of New Medicine Group, an integrated healthcare team. Therefore, If you are suffering an episode of major depression, we can also arrange an appointment with an in-house doctor to assess whether you could benefit from a full psychiatric assessment, or arrange counselling with one of our in-house psychotherapists.