Sick and tired of being tired and sick?
This might well be one of the major undiagnosed epidemics of our time. Modern life is one long round of deadlines, overwork, juggling commitments, too little sleep and too much stimulation. In the end when your reserve tank is empty your batteries will simply run flat and you will have only just about enough energy to get through each day and collapse into bed. This is what we call adrenal exhaustion.
Adrenalin is one of the most powerful drugs on the planet, so much so that your adrenal glands, where it is made, only produce a thimble full in your entire lifetime. It is very useful when you need to get out of a dangerous situation quickly, but the problem occurs when your mind interprets day-to-day deadlines as threat, and releases adrenalin to help you cope. Long-term, relying on this powerful hormone to keep you going will exhaust the adrenal glands, and at that point the fact that your batteries are empty will become painfully obvious to you.
Do I have adrenal fatigue?
Tired all the time?
Cant get out of bed?
Need coffee, Coke, energy drinks, chocolate or salty snacks to keep going?
Easily run down and stressed?
Symptoms of adrenal fatigue can include:
- Excessive fatigue and exhaustion, chronic fatigue
- Non-refreshing, disturbed sleep, insomnia
- Feeling overwhelmed or unable to cope
- Fearfulness, anxiety, depression, irritability
- Craving salty and/or sweet foods
- Light sensitivity
- Low stamina and reduced resilience
- Difficulty concentrating, brain fog, poor memory
- Poor digestion, Irritable bowel syndrome, IBS, irregular appetite
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Menopause symptoms
- Sensitivity to cold
- Reduced interest in sexual
So how do I recharge my batteries?
Successful treatment lies in determining two things;
- Is there anything blocking cellular repair? This can include increased gut permeability, mitochondrial detoxification capability, chronically low CO2
- What is the ratio of deficiency to toxicity, a this determines whether the emphasis is on the use of tonics or detoxification
This gives us the basic strategy that should be incorporated into a treatment plan, which must also include support for sound sleep, pain management if needed, diet and exercise guidance and whatever specific treatments are needed.